Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Late Night Excitement

Warning: Do not read if you are squeamish about the natural order of things. 

I woke up at 4:30 am to go to the bathroom and the dog was waiting at the bedroom door. She seemed to indicate that she wanted to go outside to potty.

I take her outside and she stands for a minute on the back porch then TAKES OFF.

Bailey heads to the bush on the one side of our yard and around the bush then across the yard.

I dont have my glasses on but it looks like she is chasing a rabbit.

She ZOOMS across the yard and to the front part of the fence and back again. The rabbit cant find a hole to squeeze out. I have not seen Bailey run so fast!

We have guests, so I try to call Bailey back quietly, telling her to leave it. It doesnt work.

Then all I hear is "squee squee squee" and nothing. I can barely see the dog- the lights dont go that far and I dont have my glasses on.

I put on my flip flops and start walking over to her. The grass is soaking wet with dew.

Bailey starts walking towards me.

She has a full sized rabbit hanging out of her mouth.

I try telling her to drop it. She doesnt move a muscle, just stands at the back door with her prize in her mouth with her head down.

Now what do I do? I dont want to touch it.

So I take her by the collar and bring her in the Basement and start leading her to the work bench where there are tools and gloves.

She dropped it beside the furnace. So I put her in the office and close the door and get a shovel out.

I take it and toss it over the fence.

This all happened while I was wearing a PJ tank top and undies.

I was very glad that it was too early for people to be outside!

I let Bailey out and head upstairs and crawl into bed. I had woken Dave up and told him the story.

We both have mixed feelings.

Its pretty cool that Bailey could catch a rabbit, but she caught a rabbit- what else will she find? will she start eating them too?

So I leave you with the picture of the killer:
Doesn't she look dangerous?

3 comments:

Dave DeBaeremaeker said...

yeah, that dog has blood on her paws now.... grr growl.... maybe the squirrels will take note and stop eating my bird seed :)

CleverNickname said...

It's all instinct. I'm the same way with cookies!

Duffman said...

You live in the South and you threw out the rabbit? DUDE!! You could have made rabbit stew!

Besides, it should have known better for taking a wrong turn at Albuquerque. lol

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...